Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday in Guangzhou 4/6

Today we woke up early to eat breakfast in the high revolving restaurant before meeting our group at 9am. At 9 we met together and headed to the photo shop for the children's Visa pictures and then on to the medical appointments.

We lined up for pictures. Apparently they had to be some kind of perfect because they were not thrilled with Maria's pictures. We had to keep positioning her and trying to get her to look up. Finally some man came and held her up in the air, but that did not work either. After quite a few minutes they resorted to accepting one of the earlier pictures.

After pictures we all went to an adoption medical center on the island. We all had to visit three different rooms. The weight, the surgery, and the ENT. Maria weighed 20 pounds and is 31 inches tall. The ENT exam was very official, as the doctor moved toys within her eyesight and shook them on either side of her ears to see if she could hear. She took our word that she couldn't hear. In the surgery/medical room I was asked what level her intellectual development was at and whether it was impacted by her hearing---they asked us! We explained that we were teaching her the signs for "more" and "please", but they were not happy with these answers. The doctor then took us to another room with more doctors, where they questioned us again on her development. We explained that she moves our hands to request things, so we know she can get some of her needs met that way. They then showed her a pen to see if she would grab it and then took it from her and put it up high to see if she would follow it. She wanted the pen, so they said, "good." They all talked for a very long time and then asked us how we knew she had no hearing and if she was slower due to the hearing or something else. How were we to know?? I'm not sure what they ended up deciding, but after Maria wanted the pen, they said, "OK done."

After the medical appointments we walked around the island shops for about 40 minutes and then we all headed back to the hotel. At the hotel, we ate Poptarts:) and Ramen Noodles--Yum Yum!! Then we all went to the pool where Macella & Kirstie swam for more than 3 hours. Some of the other kids from our group came down and they all had a great time.

At 5:30 we met one of the families for dinner at the Italian Restaurant and while there, 2 of the other families joined us. The kids sat at one table and the adults and Maria sat at another. We had a nice time. Maria was very active and into everything!

We aren't sure if Maria was not feeling well or just has trouble going to sleep. After crying so hard she finally fell asleep in Marsha's arms.

Tomorrow we have to stay in our rooms while our guides take our paperwork to the U.S. Consulate. Then in the afternoon we go to a very small museum and the White Swan hotel to sit on their "red couch."

We miss you all and can't wait to be back!
Enjoy some pictures of our day!


  1. It looks and sounds like you guys had an adventurous day. :) I really enjoy reading about your day and seeing the pictures. I am sure it's a lot of work for you, but we here at home enjoy following your journey. We are praying for you guys. We love and miss you guys.

  2. Dear Gary, Marsha, Macella, Kirstie AND Maria!!!

    What FUN it has been for us to see your family having (mostly) fun on this WONDERFUL trip!!!!

    Thanks so very much for taking the time and energy to do all these write ups and post all the pictures!!!!! We can feel a "part" of this from 1/2 way (or more) around the world!!!

    It won't be long now until you are back in Horseheads!!!!!

    Very special love to you all,
    Dad & Brooke